Friday, September 20, 2013

Politicians can decide whether I’m a journalist? Good luck.

The Free Flow of Information Act, Senate Bill 987, is now under consideration.
This misnamed piece of insanity seeks to define who a journalist is and isn’t, thereby compelling all “non-journalists” to reveal their sources on demand.
Who would be non-journalists? Millions and millions of people who blog, write online articles, and post videos.
Sorry. No sale, Congress.
The bill, which tries to define what a reporter is, is going to be as effective as trying to stop waves from breaking on the beach with your prurient sniffing noses.
If politicians can decide whether I’m a journalist, I can decide whether they’re representing the people who elected them.
If politicians can declare I’m not a reporter, and therefore I must testify about my sources, I can decide they’re not representatives, and therefore all their votes on legislation are null and void.

http://jonrappoport.wordpress.com/2013/09/19/politicians-can-decide-whether-im-a-journalist-good-luck/ 

No comments: