Wednesday, December 1, 2021

South African Doctor is 'Stunned' By Overreaction to New Virus Variant

South African Doctor Angelique Coetzee, the woman who announced the latest variant of Wuhan coronavirus to the world, is blasting the overreaction to the news.

Writing in the Daily Mail, Dr. Coetzee points out that new variants aren't a surprise and nobody carrying the latest one, Omicron, has been hospitalized.

"As chair of the South African Medical Association and a GP of 33 years' standing, I have seen a lot over my medical career. But nothing has prepared me for the extraordinary global reaction that met my announcement this week that I had seen a young man in my surgery who had a case of Covid that turned out to be the Omicron variant," she writes.

"Quite simply, I have been stunned at the response - and especially from Britain. And let me be clear: nothing I have seen about this new variant warrants the extreme action the UK government has taken in response to it," she continued.

Further, Coetzee reiterated the mildness of the variant so far.

"Only yesterday, I saw five more patients who had tested positive for the new variant. They all had a very mild illness. So, at the moment, I'm afraid it seems to me that Britain is merely hyping up the alarm about this variant unnecessarily. Yes, the picture might one day look different. I have yet to see older, unvaccinated people infected with the new variant, for example, and they might well present with a more severe form of the disease," she said.

Despite the variant also being in the UK, he has not issued a ban on travel from across the pond.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2021/12/01/south-african-doctor-blasts-overreaction-to-new-virus-variant-n2599904 

No comments: