Wednesday, July 27, 2016

As Trumpism Replaces Conservatism: Is the Party Over?

It was Tuesday, Day 2, of the Republican National Convention in Cleveland, OH.  I was sitting comfortably in the middle section of the arena directly in front of the podium.  Chris Cox, a representative from the National Rifle Association, had just stepped up to speak to the crowd of delegates, activists and media.  As Cox began his speech and stated, “You have to be able to protect yourself and your family…” I found myself being distracted by the fellow sitting next to me.  

Could it be?  Was the guy actually booing? 

My attention turned from Mr. Cox’ speech to the grumblings of the guy next to me.  I couldn’t contain myself any longer.  In disbelief, I asked the 40+ year old fellow:  “Are you a Republican?” No answer. 

No comments: