Wednesday, December 12, 2012

How Big Finance Won the American Revolution

William Hogeland: It comes out of things I had bumped into in my first two books, Whiskey Rebellion and Declaration. I kept coming up against the fact that so many conflicts among Americans during the founding period seemed to be over matters of finance and economics that we're still fighting over today. I decided that this would be a good time, given the financial crisis and some of the debates of Election 2012 about public debt and private debt, regulation, and so forth, to bring those founding financial issues out very explicitly. So I focused on the founding as a series of conflicts among Americans over finance, if finance can be defined the way my extremely lengthy subtitle defines it: debt, speculation, foreclosures, crackdowns, protests, etc.

Read more: http://readersupportednews.org/opinion2/279-82/14974-william-hogeland-how-big-finance-won-the-american-revolution

No comments: