Tuesday, June 2, 2015

TSA Has 5% Success Rate in Locating Hidden Bombs

Last time I traveled, I went through Fort Lauderdale Airport. Its sister airport, nearby Miami International, has tons of traffic, long security lines, and mile-long walks to get to your gate. Ft. Lauderdale, on the other hand, has a group of rabid TSA agents who take advantage of the relatively weak crowd around their security checkpoints to act like complete totalitarian lunatics. Typically, I'm happy to comply with TSA regulations. After all, they're just doing their job, even if I think they represent the jackbooted foot of the police state smashing the very foundations of our liberty beneath its heal. This time, molested and harassed, with my belongings spilling off the conveyor belt, I was pretty much ready to announce my one-woman crusade to abolish the Transportation Safety Administration before the end of the fiscal year.

Then, I thought, what if they really protect us? What all the junk-touching and underwear-rifling has real world implications and I'm just being an unreasonable, cynical libertarian unconcerned with the well-being and safety of other air passengers? And then, I started in on my third margarita because as far as security goes, yet again, the TSA proves they're less effective at protecting me from danger than those government-issued blue gloves. An internal investigation by the TSA has revealed that, in 67 out of 70 tests, the TSA failed to find a mock bomb or weapon in a test passenger's suitcase. That means they had a whopping success rating of....five percent.


http://spectator.org/blog/62921/tsa-has-5-success-rate-locating-hidden-bombs

No comments: