Friday, January 31, 2020

No One Is Safe From Biased Reporting

An article in October falsely suggested that I had intervened to obtain opportunity-zone status for the 107,000-acre Tahoe-Reno Industrial Center, or TRIC, to benefit what the Times said was my minority investment in a partnership holding 688 acres of raw land in TRIC. The singular focus on this tiny sliver of the 107,000 acres makes no sense.

As Fred Smith, founder and CEO of FedEx, wrote in these pages in November, the Times attacked his company by "Printing selected facts, connecting unrelated events, and implying nefarious activities when there were none whatever." That's exactly what the Times did to me last fall in a long article about Nevada real estate investments.

The Times, which sometimes seems to exist in an alternate universe, knew before publication that important conclusions and implications in the article about me were wrong because we and the U.S. Treasury gave them every relevant fact.

I've never spoken to Mr. Mnuchin, any other government official or anyone else about putting TRIC in an opportunity zone; I have never authorized anyone to act for me on that matter and no one has ever asked me to take any action related to it; I had no knowledge of any lobbying to put TRIC in an opportunity zone.

These documents provide a sobering antidote to the errors, omissions, deceptions and bias in the Times article.

The Times has now sent my office new questions that suggest another article is in the works.

The greater risk is that no one is safe when a previously respected news organization deploys its considerable resources to twist the truth.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/no-one-is-safe-from-biased-reporting-11580428578?mod=hp_opin_pos_2

No comments: