Sunday, June 29, 2014

Hype is today's media's problem

Reporter Sharyl Attkisson’s story sounds familiar to me: A major network got tired of her reports criticizing government. She no longer works there.
The CBS correspondent reported on Fast and Furious, the shifting explanation for the Benghazi and Libya attacks and the bungled rollout of the Obamacare website.
“But as time went on, it was harder to get stories on,” she said.
“There are people who simply would rather just avoid the headache of going after powers that be because of the pushback that comes with it, which has become very organized and well-financed,” she said on my TV show.
I left ABC for similar reasons. When I began consumer reporting, I assumed advertisers would censor me, since sponsors who paid my bosses wouldn’t want criticism. But never in 30 years was a story killed because of advertiser pressure. Not once. I hear that’s changed since, and big advertisers, such as car dealers, do persuade news directors to kill stories.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/opinion/columnists/hype-is-today-s-media-s-problem/article_d84ee5bb-68e5-5648-9676-63270ad0b9da.html

No comments: