Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Unraveling an Eight Year Error

I was skeptical of Donald Trump when he first emerged on the political scene during the 2016 Election Season.  My wife, an immigrant from Mexico who naturalized in 2007 was a fan of Mr. Trump right out the gate, the moment he said the word, “Wall.”  She was brought to the United States when she was a baby.  Her parents spent many years saving up their money to make the move.  When asked about illegal aliens, my wife says, “It’s a slap in my dad’s face.  My dad didn’t bring us here to be Mexicans.  He brought us here to be Americans.  My dad followed the law and the rules, and those rules are there because it weeds out those who really don’t want to truly be Americans, and those who pose a danger to the United States.”
She had been talking about a wall long before Trump did.  Hers, however, was a little more practical, and a little more fierce.  She wanted gun turrets, broken glass and inverted nails at the top, and a mote with alligators.  The mote, however, would also provide the dirt needed in New Orleans to shore up their levies, and the ‘gators would come from Florida.  “Everyone’s happy,” she commented, when I asked her about it.
For me, of the original seventeen Republican candidates, Trump ranked number fifteen ... ahead of Chris Christie and Kasich, and one spot behind Jeb Bush.
I liked Scott Walker, early on.  Once the Wisconsin Governor stepped out of the race, I had no candidate.  I like Ted Cruz as a Senator, but I was not sure he was presidential material ... and besides, he’s not eligible Natural Born Citizenship, from an original intent point of view, requires both parents to be citizens at the time of birth.  Cruz’s father was still a citizen of Cuba, and while everyone says his mom was American, I believe she was Canadian at that time.
That said, I would have voted for Cruz had he won the nomination.  For the first time in my life I would have voted against the Constitution to save the Constitution.

No comments: