Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Minimum-Wage Laws Are a Triumph of Emotion over Logic

It’s very frustrating to write about the minimum wage. How often can you make the elementary observation, after all, that you’ll get more unemployment if you try to make businesses pay some workers more than they’re worth?
But it’s my mission to promote economic liberty, so I’ve written on why government-mandated wages can create unemployment by making it unprofitable to hire people with low work skills and/or poor work histories. And I’ve attacked Republicans for going along with these job-killing policies, and also pointed out the racist impact of such intervention.
Heck, just about everything sensible that needs to be said about the topic is contained in this short video narrated by OrpheDivougny
But I guess I’m the Sisyphus of the free-market movement because once again I’m going to try to talk some sense into those who think emotion can trump real-world economics.
Let’s start by citing some new reasearch.

http://finance.townhall.com/columnists/danieljmitchell/2015/01/16/minimumwage-laws-are-a-triumph-of-emotion-over-logic-n1943776/page/full 

No comments: