Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Letter: Oath of duty

As a citizen of the United States, I am proud of the deep-rooted patriotism of my forefathers. Many lives have been sacrificed in order to maintain the liberty which we all enjoy, including those of many of my ancestors.
I was deeply saddened by recent tragedies such as those in Colorado and at Sandy Hook. However, I am troubled by the fact that our legislators are rushing to strip away the constitutional rights of the American people. The media attempts to reinforce a need for more strict gun control, yet anyone who spends any amount of time seeking the truth will quickly see that the vast majority of U.S citizens are adamantly opposed to it. More shocking to me is our president’s willingness to rule the people through executive orders and forced legislation. In light of these recent events, I took some time to think, and really reflect upon my motivations for becoming a police officer. I also spent a great deal of time defining what my oath as a police officer means to me, and more importantly, what it means to the public which I swore to serve. I have come to the following conclusion:

No comments: