Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Government Denial

During my years as a practicing alcoholic, I employed any number of tactics to avoid the ultimately invariable conclusion that in order to solve my numerous problems, I needed to stop drinking altogether.
Even long after I had made the inner admission that I was, in all likelihood, suffering from the disease – and I knew or understood very little about alcoholism at that time – I concocted any number of schemes that I thought would allow me to continue drinking indefinitely: I changed the time slots every day during which I drank. I drank only when I was at home -- never if out and about, or with friends. I tried to change brands frequently, and limit quantities (rarely with any success). I swore off hard liquor in favor of only beer. I drank wine, then switched back to beer. I stopped going to bars. I went to bars only if I was going to have something to eat as well. And so on.

http://strike-the-root.com/government-denial 

No comments: