Friday, July 5, 2013

WHEN STATES MONITORED THEIR CITIZENS WE USED TO CALL THEM AUTHORITARIAN. NOW WE THINK THIS IS WHAT KEEPS US SAFE

America controls the sky. Fear of what America might do can make countries divert planes – all because Edward Snowden might be on one.

Owning the sky has somehow got to me more than controlling the internet. Maybe because I am a simpleton and sometimes can only process what I can see – the actual sky, rather than invisible cyberspace in which data blips through fibre-optic cables.

Thus the everyday internet remains opaque to all but geeks. And that's where I think I have got it wrong. My first reaction to the Prism leaks was to make stupid jokes: Spies spy? Who knew? The fact that Snowden looked as if he came from central casting didn't help. Nor did the involvement of Julian Assange, a cult leader who should be in Sweden instead of a cupboard in an embassy.


http://republicbroadcasting.org/index.php?cmd=news.article&articleID=5528 

No comments: