Saturday, November 3, 2012

Never Been So Happy to Be So Wrong

During the primaries, I wrote a scathing article, published here on American Thinker, about Mitt Romney. In it I detailed exactly what I believed his weaknesses were and what he would do to shoot himself in the foot.
I have to say that I have never been so happy to be so wrong. After working as a campaign chair for the Mike Pence campaign for governor, campaigning in my heavily-Democratic city, reading the trends in the relevant polls, talking to voters, and watching the presidential campaign unfold, myself and my fellow Republicans are coming to the same conclusion. Ladies and gentlemen, without trying to paint an unrealistically positive picture of this election, my fellow campaign operatives and I believe we are seeing the signs of a developing wave year. Thus I thought I might share what is going on from the perspective of our Republican "war rooms", and hopefully spread a little guarded hope for our prospects come November.
Barack is making all of the wrong moves. Mitt is making all of the right ones.
First, Axelrod and the media made an enormous mistake attempting to paint Mitt Romney as a wild-eyed, radical version of the Monopoly man. Mitt was criticized by his base for months for not being conservative enough. If he wasn't conservative enough for his base, how exactly can you paint him as a right-winger? The man got elected in Massachusetts as a Republican governor. He knows exactly how not to sound like an extremist. The flip-flopper line of attack would have been far more effective if you wanted to ruin his credibility, but switching gears this late in the game would reek of desperation. (Which I might add, they have done anyway.) Secondly, the Obama campaign has completely failed to articulate a plan going forward. This is essential when the country is going through hard times like these. People don't want class-warfare rhetoric. They want a positive message of the future and what at least sounds like a plan of how to get there. Finally, the administration has done a poor job defending Obama's record. I will not hold that against them though. It is by definition impossible to defend the indefensible.

No comments: