Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Beyond Hope

I awakened this morning feeling suicidal, a common way for me to wake up. Then I looked out at the lake. Perfect. Gray blue water, fleecy clouds, endless mountains. Mr. Buffett's trains rolled by, shaking the building reassuringly. I got up. Made a scrambled egg and Thomas' English Muffin for my wife and me. That's a good meal. Orange juice. Yum.
I went next door to say good bye to the magnificent Visser family, parents, Mike and Nancy, children, handsome Dave, roughly 18, glorious Megan, 15, world's most well mannered human being, serious Tanner, 16, future lawyer, glittering little Payton, almost 12, a little gem of a girl. They are my pals from Calgary. They have been staying with us for a week and we love them. Their ancestors lived through the German occupation of Holland. The ancestors hid Jews and are remembered at Yad Vashem as "Righteous Gentiles." The Vissers are devout Christians and mean it. They live their lives truly believing that God is with them at every moment. I felt as if I were being cleansed just being near them.
But they have to leave. Nancy, the movie star beautiful Mom, made me a ham sandwich because she had read here that I love them. Then, they gave me a DVD about Bob Dylan and then they left. I was sad and went back to sleep with wifey reading next to me.
At about 6, wifey and I stirred ourselves and made the drive out route 200 towards Hope from Sandpoint.

Read more: http://spectator.org/archives/2012/07/25/beyond-hope

No comments: